Cute N Cool

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

An empty chair..for Karen

I took this picture last month, while we were at the "other half's" oldest sister Karen's, early Birthday party dinner.

We were not sure we were going to be able to have it, as her cancer was progressing and she was slipping from us at a alarming rate, that none of us wanted to admit to.




You see, Karen had fought the good fight for 10 years, against breast cancer. It started when she found a lump, and over the years she had good prognosis, and bad prognosis.

We referred to Karen as "Auntie Camera" as she ALWAYS had her camera, and packages of pictures by the dozens of the family she loved, and who loved her.

When she was a young women, she was "Miss Renton", (a suburb city of Seattle), and was a Seafair Princess as well... which is a big deal around these parts!

She loved everyone she met, and was fun and always had a smile on her face, and a sweet word of kindness for the person she spoke too. Karen really did love people.

Karen loved her family and was absolutely dedicated to them... and her family is a large family, with 8 grand children, most in high school or college at this time.

She always would have a wonderful story about one of the grandkids, and literary tears of joy in her eyes as she told the story of their recent success. This could have been a baseball game they were playing in or a gym meet.. or their success at school...she was so proud of each of them.

Karen lost her battle with cancer this morning at 4:30am...

Because I am a believer, and Karen was as well, I do not look at this with tears of sorrow.. though we already can't imagine life without Karen in it.

I have an all time favorite song, by Mercy Me called "I can Only Imagine". It talks about what it will be like in that day, when we can see Jesus, face to face...will we sing, will we dance, will we fall to our knees in praise?

Karen does not have to imagine any longer!

Karen, honey.. we love you, and will see you again!

(Karen and Ken at our house, a few years ago)




19 comments:

  1. Well said, Karen was a gift to everyone on earth that met her. I recall today how she sent me cards and gifts when my babies were born. She always had a smile and hug for you. She will be missed! But she is now where she belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe she did not lose her battle, maybe she won? The place she is now is certainly better. Maybe everyone left here lost the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss of Karen! She sounds like she was an absolutely amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for you and your family. I hate cancer - it is a robber and thief.

    My favorite hymn is Be Not Afraid. I believe the words," Be not afraid, I go before you always. Come follow Me and I will give you peace"

    You and your family sound very strong. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIP Karen!

    Jan, that was a beautiful tribute. I agree, she has gone to a better place, where there will be no more pain, no more doctors visits, no more scans! NOW she can relax and enjoy.

    You must have loved her so much - you speak so beautifully about her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray for the entire family. Lovely tribute, I can tell she was very much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. She is smiling down on you. May you find peace.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very nice tribute to what sounds like an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. im so sorry for your loss... and even though we know karen IS in a better place... ive been there too and i know its still hard.. you and yours will be in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will pray for you and yours today....God Bless you all......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss, praying for you and your loved ones! I am so glad you are a believer and that Karen was too, it makes losing a loved on that much easier. May the Lord bless your family in this hard time

    ReplyDelete
  12. loss of a human is so hard. your karen sounded like a wonderful woman and i am so sorry that she had to suffer through cancer. but you are right, she is fine now. her spirit lives on through you all and your memories of her goodness. thoughts and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful post. Her family (and you) will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My ... I am so sorry.

    I live in Renton and know all about Seafair.

    (My Mother past from Ovarian Cancer. She fought for 16 years)

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a beautiful tribute post. i know she is looking down from Heaven enjoying your sweet words. may your family find peace in knowing she is no longer hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww, this post touched my heart. Karen will be missed by many as she seems to have blessed many people with her lovely life. I love that Mercy Me song, too. What a perfect song chosen for her.

    (((HUGS)))
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing woman..I am sorry for your loss, it is so true that they are so much happier in Heaven but it is so hard to be here without them..You and your family are in my thought's and prayer's..

    I too love "I Can Only Imagine", I also really love "Word Of God speak" by MercyMe

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry for the loss of your Karen and what a wonderful and loving tributeto her and I could feel the love you had for her as I read your post. Some people just go too quickly from our presence to back into the arms of God.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this loving story of sorrow, despair and ULTIMATE HOPE!!! I am sorry for your loss here on earth, and feel for you as I lost my Mom to cancer a few years back...

    Last night, I read a scripture that really touched me: Isaiah 57: 1 & 2 The righteous perish and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death...

    I've attended over 10 funerals in the past several months, and this scripture was very comforting, concerning most of them, to me...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...I mean really...Thank you for taking the time to do that.. how nice of you!